You know those family/friend/business dinners you’ve been attending or will attend? Yeah, those ones. You might have been nervous/excited/downright ecstatic to go, but found yourself trying to find something to talk about. I’ve got you covered…
I proudly present…
Fun convo starters that no one expects
- What’s your favorite joke? Why? Who told it to you?
- Do you have an embarrassing nickname? Who gave it to you? Why?
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Did you always want to be that? Who inspired you to choose it?
- What is your favorite school memory? Why?
- What is your favorite food? Why?
How to ask follow up questions to keep the ones you love talking
In the questions above, I included follow up questions that can keep the conversation going. Other questions to ask explore the emotional side and real-life impact of our memories and moments. So questions like
- How did that make you feel?
- How do you feel about that moment now?
- Did you change anything in your life because of that moment?
…can make all the difference in encouraging someone to keep talking.
Now that you have them talking…
Take this chance to record (using your phone if it’s handy) or write down notes about what they say so you can remember it later. Whether or not you end up creating anything from your notes, the act showing your loved one you care enough to write it down, will warm their heart and make it easier for them to open up again later when you ask more questions.
I hope this helps you have some meaningful conversations during the holiday season and throughout